I realized that just like I love to shop for food, but hate to take the food out of the bags and put it away, I hate to unpack. It overwhelms me somehow. Packing seems easy. Is it because I start packing weeks before we go? Is it because the adventure of travel is still ahead? And why is it like food shopping?
In any case, after two days at home, I am pretty much unpacked and the laundry is done.
I also packed my “emergency kit” — so that if we ever loose our luggage for three days, I’ll be ok. Here’s what’s in it:
- Two pairs of underwear
- A pair of lightweight shoes. I know, shoes don’t seem like they should be included in an emergency kit, but I don’t like to wear the same pair of shoes day and night; it tires my feet.
- A pair of simple, silver hoop earings. Can’t be without earings!
- A very lightweight long flowing thing that I bought years ago and have never worn that I am transforming into a bathrobe. I have finally found a use for something that causes me guilt every time I look at it in my closet.
- The large white T shirt that the folks from United/TAP gave us in our “goody bag”.
- The toiletries that United/TAP gave us.
- A pair of socks
- A bra that I don’t wear much anymore, but fits well
- A pair of lightweight black pants
- One lightweight black silky T shirt that I bought in Lisbon.
And we are switching our carry on/luggage system. I usually take a backpack and stuff it with my laptop, my pashmina that my sister gave me years ago (THANK YOU AGAIN), my Kindle, and my noise cancelling ear phones.
From now on, Mr. Not So Curious and I are going to share a carry on piece that has wheels that I just bought that fits over our existing luggage, so one of us doesn’t have to wheel two bags. No more backpack, which once I had stuffed it with everything I need for three days, was pretty much too heavy to carry. We’ll see how this works.
I’ve avoided carry ons for years because I’m short and it is really hard for me to get a piece of luggage into the overhead bins on my own. But we mostly travel together, so this problem might not arise.
We’ll see how this all works out, because, guess what? We leave for LA in 9 days!
Ugh, more unpacking . . .